In our version, the smoky bacon gets punched up with a sprinkling of spiced brown sugar and fresh thyme before wrapping itself around the succulent sea scallops. The result: a faintly sweet, deeply savory, crispy yet tender combination of flavors. These bacon wrapped sea scallops will stun as an appetizer at your next get together, or are an easy way to treat yourself to a hearty dinner when piled atop a bed of sautéed greens or wild rice.
- 8 slices bacon, halved
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 16 fresh sea scallops
- salt, to taste
- 16 toothpicks
- olive oil, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425℉.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, fresh thyme, smoked paprika, and ground coriander.
- Arrange the halved bacon strips on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack, and sprinkle about half of the brown sugar mixture over the strips. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 6 minutes, until the bacon is partially rendered. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before handling.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the sea scallops. Locate the side muscle, a small strip along one side of each scallop, and remove it gently using your fingers. Some scallops may be missing this piece, and that’s just fine! Less work for you. Rinse the scallops under cool running water, then pat dry on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. (Note: Thoroughly drying the scallops before cooking is key, as this allows the surface of the scallops to caramelize in the oven rather than steam. You want that crispy golden surface on your bacon wrapped scallops, trust us!)
- Season each scallop lightly with salt, then wrap each with a piece of the partially cooked bacon. Stick a toothpick through the ends of the bacon and through the center of each scallop to secure. Roll each bacon wrapped scallop in the remaining brown sugar mixture, then rub a few drops of olive oil into the exposed surface of each scallop.
- Arrange them, scallop side up, on the baking rack and bake at 425℉ for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of your scallops. The scallops are cooked when they are opaque all the way through Serve right away!