With just a handful of ingredients—all in one pot—and about 20 minutes, this rich, cheesy crowd pleaser is sure to become a staple. And, for those who want a (slightly) healthier alternative, feel free to trade the heavy cream for half & half, a vegan substitute, or just keep it out altogether—though, if you go for something with a lower fat content, keep the zest but hold the lemon juice to avoid possible curdling.
Or, you can just do like we do, go all out and enjoy this Italian classic the way it was meant to…
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb 21/25 shrimp
- ½ lb pasta
- Cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Place a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add the butter and stir until it is melted. Add the flour and stir until well combined, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add the oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the heavy cream into the pan, then stir well. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place the shrimp in the pan, then stir to coat the shrimp in the sauce. Cook the shrimp for 5 minutes.
- Plate the pasta, then pour the parmesan sauce and shrimp over the pasta and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!