These mahi-mahi burgers will be perfect for your next weekend cookout or make a big ol’ batch and freeze the patties individually for easy weeknight meals. As with any burger, almost all toppings are delicious toppings, so the sky's the limit! For our version, we’re feeling the topical vibes and decided to whip up some sweet and crunchy pineapple slaw to pile on top.
Fresh Mahi-Mahi Burger Recipe with Pineapple Slaw
For the Pineapple Slaw:
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped fresh pineapple
For the Burgers:
Make them from scratch or purchase them here!
- neutral oil, for brushing
- 1 pound fresh mahi-mahi, finely chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, such as panko
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 kaiser rolls
- olive oil, for brushing
- lime wedges, for serving
- Start by making the pineapple slaw. Place the thinly sliced red onion in a small bowl and submerge in ice water, allowing to soak for 10-15 minutes. While the onion soaks make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, coconut milk, balsamic vinegar, sesame seeds, and salt to taste. Drain the red onion, then combine in a large bowl with the red cabbage, and pineapple. Pour the dressing over the red cabbage mixture and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set the slaw aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan and lightly brush with neutral oil. In a large bowl, combine the mahi-mahi, scallions, parsley, garlic, ginger, egg, soy sauce, breadcrumbs, coriander, and salt and black pepper to taste. Check for consistency! The mixture should be easy to shape and sticky enough to form by hand. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more egg or if it seems too wet add a bit more breadcrumbs.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties and place them on the preheated grill. Grill the mahi-mahi burgers until crisp and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Brush the kaiser rolls with olive oil and add to the grill alongside the mahi-mahi burgers during the last minute of cooking.
- Place each mahi-mahi burger in a bun and top with a pile of pineapple slaw. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing!